Considering an Electronic Access Control System?
What Security Professionals Should Ask When Considering an Electronic Access Control System
- System Downtime – Since the system is electronic, how long will security be down if something malfunctions?
- Interoperability – Is this a stand-alone system or will it integrate with existing hardware/software?
- Expandability – Do we have to purchase the entire system, or can we start small and grow into it?
- Functionality – Can the system work with other security components?
- Economics – What are the cost-benefits of purchasing the system?
- Maintenance – What type of hardware is involved? What’s the cost of maintenance and replacement parts?
- Technology – Will the system be obsolete as technology changes? Can we upgrade if needed?
- Ease of Use – Can the entire security/management staff operate the system? Or should the IT department get involved?
- Reporting – Does the system keep logs? How easy is it to access that data and compile reports?
- Installation – How long will we be “down” while the system is being installed?
- Training & Support – How much time is required to learn the system? Is training included? Is local support available?