- Is there always someone in the kitchen when food is cooking on the stove?
- Are stove tops and counters clean and uncluttered?
- Are there pot holders within easy reach of the stove?
- Are pot handles turned inward so they can’t be bumped?
- Are curtains and other things that can burn easily away from the stove?
- Check fire extinguishers regularly
- Are portable space heaters always turned off when leaving the room or sleeping?
- If space heaters are used in your home, are they at least three feet away from anything that can burn?
- Does your fireplace have a sturdy screen to catch sparks?
- Has your chimney been inspected and cleaned during the past year?
- Has your furnace been serviced by a professional in the past year?
- Are propane tanks and other fuels stored outside your home?
- Are extension cords used safely and not under carpets or across doorways?
- Are electrical cords in good condition, without cracks or frayed areas?
- Are kitchen appliances – such as the coffee-maker, toaster oven, and microwave – plugged into separate receptacle outlets?
Smoke Alarms/Home Fire Escape
- Does your home have working smoke alarms on every floor and inside and near all sleeping areas?
- Are the batteries working in all of the smoke alarms? (if required)
- Are all the exits in your home clear of furniture, toys, and clutter?
- Does your family have a home fire escape plan that includes two exits (usually a door and a window) from each room?